Monday, December 17, 2007

"Asking what you think about Helvetica . . .

is like asking how you feel about off-white."

I watched an excellent documentary with Netflix' Watch Instantly feature. Helvetica is about the oh-so-pervasive font, but it is also about how we communicate, and it is also about the people who decide what we need to communicate. I definitely recommend it. Below are some of the people that were interviewed in the film. My favorite is Erik Spiekermann. Matthew Carter was also excellent. There are plenty of clips on YouTube if you want to check them out there too.

Erik Spiekermann, David Carson, Wim Crouwel, Matthew Carter, Hermann Zapf, Michael Beirut, Tobias Frere-Jones, Jonathan Hoefler, Neville Brody, Stefan Sagmeister, Experimental Jetset, Michael C. Place

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 17, 2007 11:32 PM, Blogger Wishydig said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard nothing about this but I saw the poster on Netflix and it got me curious.

Something about the write-up didn't sound right. Not as relevant as your review.

 
At December 17, 2007 11:33 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I know what you mean about the write-ups. Sometimes it is almost comical the discrepancy between the write-ups and the actual plot/film.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home